Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Tips on how to Build School Spirit

 “Rah, Rah, Shishboomba!”


School spirit is not only about cheerleaders and school colors; it’s about becoming a united front when it comes to school and the education process. School spirit can be developed a number of ways including spirit theme days and fun activities. School spirit is not only meant for students, but also for parents, school teachers, administrators and even the townspeople. In order to build school spirit, consider trying some of the following ideas.

Spirit days
Spirit days are a fun way for the entire school to get together and celebrate their school spirit. These days can vary between varieties of themes.  These theme days can be exciting and cause students to have more school spirit. School spirit days can be any of the following; sports day, stars and stripes day, beach day, music day, wacky hair day, and even school colors day. A lot of students would also enjoy doing pajama day! Who wouldn’t want to go to class in their pajamas and slippers?

To make the spirit days even more fun consider getting everyone who dressed up in their swag together and taking a group picture. This picture can then be placed on a bulletin board outside of the school’s office or placed inside the homeroom if there are only a few classrooms at the campus.

Hall decorating contest
Another fun and exciting way to add more school spirit within students is by holding a hall decorating contest. This is a great way for kids of all ages to get excited about their grade and show school spirit. They can decorate using streamers, posters, banners, and even pictures of their class members. Be creative when making signs for each class. Provide glitter, paint, markers, and as much banner paper as possible for the students who want to participate.

Another way to do this is to pin posters around the campus in order to let people know about the decorating contest. Also during morning announcements let kids know exactly where and when the event will be taking place. Teachers, students and coaches might be surprised at just how many people come to help.

Holiday decorating committee
Most schools have a student council committee that will take care of these things but why not involve the entire student body in decorating for the holidays. There are main holidays that a lot of people love to celebrate. For example, there could be a decorating committee for Halloween, Christmas, Valentine’s Day, and of course Homecoming week (though it’s not a holiday in the Federal sense, it is a holiday to students everywhere.

Homecoming is another way to get school spirit going and keeping it strong. Homecoming is a designated day that is specifically for the school itself. Most always around a school’s first home football game there is often a Homecoming Dance that takes place also. All of the above spirit day ideas are a wonderful way to get Homecoming week kicked off and get school spirit aroused.

Students need to feel that they can be proud of their school without it being lame to other students. A very easy and important way to start this is by involving everyone. This means teachers, parents, students, and community members. If the school has a mascot, or a school Letterman letter, get a replica made in sticker form. These can be handed out to every student to put on their lockers, cars, or even their binders.

Students everywhere can benefit from school spirit improvements. It’s all about getting a school together and boosting school spirit and bringing everyone together. Get started today and get everybody in gear and ready to show their school spirit.

          How do you get in to school spirit?


Photo Image courtesy of Stuart Miles at FreeDigitalPhotos.net

32 comments:

  1. No kiddos, but I was a former Special Education teacher, it is fun to see the students get all excited and find ways to make the school look more cheery!

    Tracy @ Ascending Butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  2. My boys school is big on school spirit, which I LOVE. They always have different themed days and stuff like that. It makes it fun for the kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No school spirit here. The kids never really embraced it. I definitely let them choose if they wanted to participate, they just always opted out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been years since I had to get into school spirit. I pretty much left it up to the cheerleaders and the members of the pep squad when I was in high school. But you've shared some great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The kids school does a great job at promoting school spirit. They have many family events to get the family and community involved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter's school had plenty of hall decorating contests and spirit days. It really helped with morale and school spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kiddo school seems to do a good job. It's been a long time since I had any school spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love it when the school sends information home about upcoming things going on. I usually go all out. -_-

    ReplyDelete
  9. we used to have pep rallys, parades and theme dress weeks! I loved the parades.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so fun to support the school. You're right though, you want to be cool while you're doing it, lol. So true...especially in the upper grades (though I see that even in grade school). :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. For me, school spirit is just getting my teenage nephew out of the bed and to the school bus on time. =D He's a good kid, but boy, does he hate school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My daughter loved school spirit days. She was always so excited for funny hair day or school color day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. School spirit starts at home, I think. School is more than just a place you go to learn math. It's very much a family atmosphere for many years of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My kids LOVE school spirit week. Between the dress down days and the class competitions, they can't wait to get to school that week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember being in high school and really loving football Friday's because we had a spirit day. I miss those days!

    ReplyDelete
  16. My kids dress in their spirit wear every Friday to school. My son just wears his school t-shirt but my daughter wears matching school color bows, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We haven't gotten into school spirit week yet. They're too little. I think it will be fun to get excited with them.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had a hard time when I was in high school. Hoping better for my son. It'll be fun to get into the spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Even in elementary school now, they do this. Mine love the spirit days best. so far ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Spirit days were so popular in elementary school for me. It seemed we didn't get much into them in high school though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. my son has already expressed interest in sports and dances. I think it has a lot to do with the school and how they promote events

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is weird but my kids have never really been high-spirited for school. My daughter played basketball and volleyball but she was never big on cheerleading.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I remember homecoming game week at school being fun! Each one was themed different and lots of activities.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Growing up it was always about going to the game and spirit week. I still make my kids do spirit week but I won't force the games due to the price. I do love them getting into it and wearing the colors. Homecoming is just around the corner and my kids are already planning what they will wear.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fun post! I love supporting our kids by wearing sweatshirts and t-shirts with their school logo. They love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We are always in school spirit. My son played for his high school team and my daughter was a cheerleader. We were always at the school events.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Spirit days are so much fun. What a great way to get a lot of kids together all at once to show their passion and support for their school!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My kids love school and have so much school spirit I love watching them get all excited!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I remember spirit days when I was in school. So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It's always nice to get into those school spirit days. My girls just love getting involved!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My kids are still really little but I hope they go to a school with tons of school spirit. It makes their school experience so much more exciting.
    ~Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  32. My grandkids have spirit days and dress in school colors.

    ReplyDelete