Monday, May 25, 2020

Stop Comparing Yourself to Others

Whether we want to admit it or not, we've all had those moments where the green eyed monster reared its ugly head. We've sat there and tried our best to ignore it, and we've even tried to just let it go and move on. However, let's be realistic....there are times when we all feel that way. 

A while back a friend and I actually had a discussion that helped our friendship grow. To this day I am thankful that she was open and honest with me about things. What could the problem really be, you ask?. I was jealous of her, and she knew it. Not only was this jealousy affecting our friendship, but it was causing me to not like myself very much either.




Let's be honest with one another, we've all been there before. We've envied another person for what they have, and what we do not. It's stupid, much like the qupte above says, there is nothing to be gained from being jealous or comparing yourself to others. It's a dangerous game, and it's time we all stopped falling subject to it. While it took me quite some time to get the nerve to write this, I finally am getting around to it. Here are 5 easy ways to overcome jealousy and stop comparing yourself to others.

1. Remember there is only one of you in the world.

2. List your best features (ask for help if needed) and read them to yourself every morning and at night before going to bed.

3. When you feel jealous of said person, allow yourself to FEEL your emotions. Acknowledge that you feel jealous, and let it go. The moment you acknowledge and release that negative energy, you'll begin to feel more positive.

4. Let go of your insecurities. If you're jealous because they're a size 6 and you're a 26, remember that you're different people with TWO DIFFERENT bodies. 

You might be struggling with your body issues, but make a change. Get up and do 5 wall pushups or give yourself a pep talk. Do something to make yourself feel happy, endorphins are beautiful. Refer back to your list of positive qualities, read a book, do whatever to get your mind off of it.

5. Have a date night with yourself once a week where you do something that YOU enjoy. Whether this is reading a book, or going to a movie, play, or baseball game. Do it for you.

 See, it's really simple. It's all about believing in yourself and allowing yourself to grow as an individual. If someone in the end doesn't like the person you are, than they have yet to grow themselves. Remember, sometimes it takes others a while to realize you're not the same person you were before. Be patient. After all, love is kind.



17 comments:

  1. I honestly don't know why people compare themselves to anyone or anything! What a great blog post and wish the message got across to people as we are all unique!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is something I really need to do. I grew up around a lot of bullying, and I have always been very hard on myself - It's a work in progress, but we all have to start somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very interesting and true post.
    I love your tips.
    I think we should always go through our feelings eyes wide open instead of hiding them or shrugging them off.

    And I also agree with taking time to replenish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All great tips! As I've grown older, had a few more children and matured a great deal I really don't get jealous much or compare myself to others. I do however, sometimes get "jealous" or sad when I see some people having SO much fun ALL the time. I'm a stay at home mom, which is pretty hectic and stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's really important to monitor the information you are taking in - if you are watching shows or visiting with people that are not reinforcing your positive views, dump them! Surround yourself with people and things that are supportive and encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great tips! With social media and everyone sharing the best of everything it's definitely hard not to be jealous. We try our best to keep everything in perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Comparison is definitely not productive. I think it's good to to ask for help and advice from people who inspire you though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's hard to not compare yourself with others, especially when their life looks so great. But you're the only you and that's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes, it is hard not to compare yourself with other, but you are so right; there is only one you. These are great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always say, if you count your blessing, you'll always be grateful. If you count other people's blessing, you'll always be filled with envy. It's really important to be comfortable with oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such a great reminder...although I think it's very hard sometimes to not 'notice' what others have. We always seem to want more than what we have!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not big on comparison any more .It took me a lot of years though to get to that point.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great words. This really made me think differently. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like your idea of not dwelling on negative feelings which are inevitable for all of us at times. I agree that getting up and doing something or anything will help.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is so hard. I have to actively tell myself not to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, sometimes that ugly green monster rears it's little head and I have to fight him off! There is always something to be jealous of but there is even more to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhhhhh when I was younger I use to compare all the time! I think all younger folks do. These days I know better and know comparing doesn't get you anywhere

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog